By John Haldon
- Provides interconnected essays of unique scholarship in terms of the social historical past of the Byzantine empire
- Offers groundbreaking theoretical and empirical learn within the examine of Byzantine society
- Includes necessary glossaries of sociological/theoretical phrases and Byzantine/medieval terms
Read Online or Download A Social History of Byzantium PDF
Similar middle eastern history books
This e-book offers with the nineteenth century Anglo-Russian nice online game performed out at the territorial chessboard of jap and north-eastern components of the waning Persian empire. the good online game itself has been written approximately generally, yet by no means from a Persian attitude and from the perspective of the neighborhood avid gamers in that video game.
The unconventional covers the energetic life of the prophet Jeremiah, which paralleled significant political, cultural and sociological struggles within the Middle-East. It contains topics of the autumn of the dominion of Judah, the destruction of Jerusalem, the exile of the Jewish humans and the redaction of the bible.
Marred through political tumult and violent clash because the early 20th century, Gaza has been topic to a multiplicity of rulers. nonetheless no longer a part of a sovereign country, it will appear too unheard of to be a revealing website for a examine of presidency. Ilana Feldman proves differently. She demonstrates specialize in the Gaza Strip uncovers very much approximately how executive truly works, not just in that small geographical house yet extra as a rule.
Ahmad ibn Hanbal (d. 241 H/855 AD), popular for his profound wisdom of hadith—the studies of the Prophet’s sayings and deeds—is a huge determine within the background of Islam. Ibn Hanbal’s piety and austerity made him a folks hero, in particular after his principled resistance to the makes an attempt of 2 Abbasid caliphs to strength him to simply accept rationalist doctrine.
- Authority and Identity in Medieval Islamic Historiography: Persian Histories from the Peripheries (Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization)
- Egypt, 1798-1952 (RLE Egypt): Her Advance Towards a Modern Identity (Routledge Library Editions: Egypt)
- Politics and War in Lebanon: Unraveling the Enigma
Additional info for A Social History of Byzantium